Funeral FAQ (7)
Markham Masjid Funeral Coordinator will arrive as soon as the “Death Certificate – FORM 16” has been issued by the authorities.
Please ensure that the information of the deceased on the “Death Certificate” is accurate. If you notice anything that is incorrect, please request the authorities to correct it.
Does Markham Masjid process funeral for a deceased body that is to be transported long distance or overseas?
No, Markham Masjid does not offer such a service.
Payment for Grave, Bathing, Shroud, Coffin and Transportation is to be made to Markham Masjid through debit card or cheque.
Payment for Grave Opening and Closing Services is to be paid to the respective Cemetery.
Our funeral services includes; documentation, transportation, wooden caskate, shroud. Gave cost is extra.
Please visit Revenue Canada Website for the Death Benefits: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/cpp-death-benefit.html
Body is stored at Markham Masjid for next day funeral only. For extended storage facility, contact the hospital or morgue.
Funeral Process (4)
Step 1: Body Pickup
Markham Masjid’s representative picks up the deceased body from Coroner’s office/ Hospitals/Retirement home/Airports or the Home and brings it to Markham Masjid.
Step 2: Paperwork at Markham Masjid
The family/guardian of the deceased need to do the following:
- Provide two government-issued photos ID’s of the deceased (Acceptable ID’s are Drivers License, Passport or Citizenship card)
- Fill out three forms, which are Statement of Death – Form 15, Family Questionnaire & Burial Services & Cemetery Information (Family to provide grave plot number and buyers name on this form)
- Family pays for the grave and burial services charge. Check for payment and pricing info at Price List.
During this process, Markham Masjid’s will:
- Assist family in filling out forms and documents
- Verify all information including review the “Death Certificate – Form 16”
- Fax the “Burial Services & Cemetery Information” to the Cemetery requesting to open a grave.
- Perform the final rites of the deceased according to Islamic rulings, which are limited to body washing and wrapping in a shroud only with the help of volunteers and family members.
- Submit “Statement of Death – Form 15“, “Death Certificate – Form 16” along with blank “Burial Permit” to the City Office. The city will issue a “Burial Permit” while keeping other forms in their records.
- Organize and perform Janaza prayer right after Zuhr salat
- Transport the coffin to the cemetery for burial. (Cemetery accepts burials 7 days a week until 3:30 pm).
- Provide 10 signed copies of “Proof-of-Death Certificate” to the family (which may be used to inform Government offices, banks and other institutions)
Step 3: Burial
Take the Statement of Death Form 15, Death certificate – Form 16 (provided by Markham Masjid) and a blank copy of the Burial Permit to the City or Police station (after hours). They will keep the forms and return the Burial certificate after stamping for the family to keep.
Funeral is processed according to Sunni Muslim practice.
We do not promote embalming of the deceased for transporting overseas.
Volunteers must follow Mortuary Room Hygenic procedures as instructed by the Funeral Coordinator.
Volunteers must adhere to strict confidentiality rules and not share or disclose any info about bathing of the deceased.
Deceased body can only be stored for one night.
Islamic Society of Markham – Funeal Serivices Price List
|ISM FUNERAL SERVICES||Adult||Child (Upto 3′)|
|Bathing, Shroud, Coffin & Transport||$1,500.00||$575.22|
|City Funeral Registration Fee||$50.00||$50.00|
|Grave Cost (Includes HST)||TMC, Richmond Hill||DMC, Pickering|
|Child (Upto 3′)||$600.00||$700.00|
|CEMETERY CHARGES (includes HST)||TMC, Richmond Hill||DMC, Pickering|
|Grave Open/Close – Adult – Standard Depth||$1,200.00||$1,271.25|
|Grave Open/Close – Adult – Extra Depth||$1,400.00||$1,446.40|
|Grave Open/Close – Child (Upto 3′)||$350.00||$508.50|
|Late Cemetery Entrance 3:30pm – 4:00pm||$140.00||$160.00|
|Late Cemetery Entrance 4:00pm – 4:30pm||$180.00||$200.00|
*subject to change, please refer to the Cemetery price list
|Funeral Services & Grave Costs are payable to ISM||Debit / Cash|
|Cemetery Charges are payable to respective cemetery||Debit / Credit / Cash|